Thursday, May 30, 2013

He's leaving on a jet plane...for reals. :/

On the first day of this month of May, Julian was diagnosed with Kawasaki Disease. It was a surreal day for us. It was a day that changed our lives. A day that words or this blog can't even do justice for....

Tomorrow, on the last day of the month of May, Julian graduates from Pre-K. It sounds so silly to have a big ceremony to send 4 year olds into Kindergarten. I have never looked forward to a day more. I am so thankful that Julian is even here to participate in this graduation.
Julian wearing Daddy's graduation apparel earlier this month. This was five days after being released from his KD hospital stay. He looks so healthy! :)


Today, Julian had his last echocardiogram and cardiology appointment before he goes to South America for five weeks...Yes, I'm sending him. I know that we have had quite the month and most normal, sane mothers would have cancelled this trip out of pure fear after going through what we went through. Most moms wouldn't send their four year olds to South America, period. This is his culture and this is his family. Hell, this kid needs a vacation after everything he has been through! This will be his first summer to go with his grandparents, but it will not be his last. He will have the coolest stories when school starts back up..."Oh, you spent the summer at the pool? Well, I spent the summer in Colombia." Best journal entries ever. :)
 How could I even dream of taking this away from him? He has literally been packing his Spiderman suitcase full of his legos and "babies" since January. Now, all I hear from him is, "Mama, I'm going to Colombia on Sunday and you're staying here!" Um, tears much? The way I look at it is this- I may have to restrict his life in the future because of the KD and if I don't have to do it now, I don't want to.

 Julian's last trip to Colombia in May of 2011. There are four generations in this picture. :)


The results of the echo, you ask? GREAT! They said he heart is starting to look almost normal. Just the word "normal" makes me happy! There were not any new aneurisms spotted in his arteries, and the one that he did have is gone! Praise GOD! He will still have to take low dose aspirin for the next few months and we are still in the process of weaning him from the steroids, which should be finished by the second week of June. We arrive back to the states on July 4 and we have an appointment with the rheumatologist on July 5. Julian also got some blood drawn today and we should be getting a call tomorrow from the doctor about those and any other follow up we need.

I have never lived a longer month in my life. I feel like we were diagnosed with KD a year ago! And, it was only one month ago. On the other hand, I feel like this month has flown by. My baby is leaving me to go have the time of his life...What a bittersweet May we have had.

1 comment:

  1. My son was also diagnosed this May the 29th! Reading your son's story brought me to tears because I know exactly what you went through & are still going through!! So glad another mom is raising awareness!! Great blog looking forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete